The Fourth Doctor and Sarah arrive in the Antarctic in time to witness the discovery of an alien seed pod, which germinates with horrific consequences. Unable to prevent the removal of a second pod, they travel to England to confront botanist Harrison Chase, who plans to unleash the Krynoid lifeform into the world...
• Six episodes with mono audio.
• Commentary with actors Tom Baker, John Challis, Kenneth Gilbert and Michael McStay, producer Philip Hinchcliffe, writer Robert Banks Stewart, replacement designer Roger Murray-Leach and Joggs Camfield (son of the director, the late Douglas Camfield).
• Isolated Music – option to watch the episode with the isolated music score.
• PodShock (dur. 37’ 15”) – cast and crew look back at the making of the story. With actors John Challis, Kenneth Gilbert and Ian Fairbairn, producer Philip Hinchcliffe, writer Robert Banks Stewart, production assistant Graeme Harper, original designer Jeremy Bear, design assistant Jan Spoczynski, visual effects designer Richard Conway and composer Geoffrey Burgon.
• Now and Then (dur. 8’ 56” ) – our long running series visits Athelhampton House, a quarry in Reigate and the BBC Television Centre to explore the locations used in ‘The Seeds of Doom’.
• Playing in the Green Cathedral (dur. 10’ 03”) – composer Geoffrey Burgon talks about his involvement in Doctor Who.
• So What Do You Do Exactly? (dur. 14’ 23”) – ever wondered what the job of a Production Assistant or a Production Unit Manager entails? Graeme Harper explains…
• Stripped for Action – The Fourth Doctor (dur. 20’ 18”) – our series on the Doctor’s comic-strip adventures looks at the portrayal of the fourth Doctor in the pages of Doctor Who Magazine’s regular graphic stories. With former DWM editors Dez Skinn, Gary Russell and Alan Barnes, writer Pat Mills, artist Dave Gibbons and consultant Jeremy Bentham.
• Trail and Continuity (dur. 1’ 23”) – an off-air trail for the story’s first episode and continuity announcements for its fifth.
• Easter Egg (dur. 1’ 14”) – an anecdote from John Challis.
• Easter Egg no.2 (dur. 0’ 08”) – a rare outtake from ‘The Seeds of Doom’, featuring a misbehaving door…
• Plus of course the usual PDF materials (including Douglas Camfield’s paper edit for a compilation version of the story), Coming Soon trailer, Programme Subtitles, Subtitle Production Notes and Photo Galleries.
Copyright Steve Roberts, 10 August 2011. No reproduction allowed without written permission.